Colleges like to see students take advantage of their summers by participating in meaningful activities. Here are some opportunities to consider:
College Summer Programs
Attending a pre-college summer program designed specifically for high school students allows you to demonstrate your interest in academics and show that you’re motivated to do more than what’s required to pursue your academic passions. Many colleges offer this type of program, with some even providing college courses for credit. More importantly, these programs are often residential so you’ll also get the experience of living in a dorm, participating in group activities, and socializing with your fellow participants, allowing you to get a first-hand feel for what college life will be like.
Some programs of interest are:
- COSMOS – (8th-12th) in this 4-week residential program, students have the opportunity to be mentored by renowned faculty, researchers and scientists in state-of-the-art facilities, while exploring advanced STEM topics at one of four participating UC Campus.
- Stanford University Office of STEM Outreach’s Summer Programs for High School Students – many of these opportunities are non-residential and/or have specific requirements. Please research in full before applying.
*DISCLAIMER: participation in a program through a specific university or college does not guarantee admission into that school.
Internship & Research Opportunities
- Keck Graduate Institutes High School Summer STEM Internship Program: High school students work under the supervision of a KGI faculty mentor, shadow undergraduate students and other researchers at KGI, and engage in a small, well-defined research project matched to their skills and knowledge. High school students further are able to participate in SURE (Summer Undergraduate Research Experience) program activities such as seminars and workshops.
- The Intern Project – (juniors & seniors) find paid summer internship opportunities throughout LA County. Regardless of eligibility or acceptance into the program, TIP’s website also offers valuable resources such as writing resumes and interviewing.
- Camp CHLA – (freshmen, sophomores, juniors) a 5-day intensive program where students job shadow health care professionals, observe medical procedures, participate in skills labs, and attend presentations on various healthcare specialties.
- Samuels Family Latino & African American High School Internship Program – (juniors) this 7-week long summer program is a laboratory-based research-training program, which offers hands-on experimentation in projects relevant to pediatric illnesses (i.e., regenerative medicine, cancer and blood diseases, endocrine illnesses and neuroscience).